Monday, March 17, 2014

Hiatus

 Hiatus:
2a :  an interruption in time or continuity :  break; especially :  a period when something (as a program or activity) is suspended or interrupted <after a 5-year hiatus from writing>
 http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hiatus

It is quite obvious that I have not written in a while, and I find it humorous and ironic that the example given for the definition of hiatus is taking a break from writing.

For various reasons, I have not made another recipe sine my last posting.  And I even convinced myself that the reasons were good ones: sickness in the family, holidays and traveling, exhaustion, didn't have the ingredients, dinner plans at other people's houses, not wanting to...

As you can see, the reasons seem less and less valid.  It became comfortable for me to avoid cooking and eating new recipes from More-with-less.
For me, anorexia nervosa requires and involves a certain level of becoming comfortable with things that are typically uncomfortable: hunger, exhaustion, avoiding meals with loved ones, eating foods I don't like/not eating foods I do like, working out through pain...
Over the years, I have become comfortable with being uncomfortable and found ways to avoid new and different aspects of my life that would bring me pleasure, health, and joy.  I have continued this pattern with the project I began in this blog.
On June 3, 2013, I posted the following project proposal:
"I intend to read the book and cook one of the recipes each week and blog about my experience.  You might wonder what the point of this is.  Sometimes, I wonder the same thing.  But I think it is important as Mennonites and other Christians to think about the ethics of food, hunger, and the poor, that we do not shape the conversation around the idea of guilt."

I still believe this and intend to continue with my project.

I appreciate the people who have asked me about the blog and expressed a desire to read more of my journey.

During the rest of this time of Lent, I will pray and think about how to re-start this project and my desire to continue finding healthier ways to live.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment