Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Broccoli Rice

Part of the quote from Raymond Sokolov that introduces the topic of Main Dishes with Rice on p. 125:
    "In the short term, there is probably nothing anyone can do to forestall mass starvation in some
    rice-dependent areas.  But the very least we can do is to take a symbolic stand and cook rice with
    reverence...Perhaps we could even inaugurate our own rice ritual: a moment of silence for those
    who are not getting enough."

I wish that my thoughts about rice included reverence and a moment of silence for people who are not getting enough to eat.  That is my hope for future times of rice-cooking.

But last week and yesterday, my mind was ruminating on more mundane and eating disordered thoughts, mixed with glimmers of hope and excitement.

Now to the recipe:
The idea for this Blog came about through discussions over the years with my husband and took shape more specifically over Christmas vacation 2012.  I even picked out this recipe much earlier this year.  I chose it based on the ease of preparation and the relatively few and low-anxiety-causing ingredients.

It just took me awhile to get the courage to actually begin the process of cooking from this cookbook.  It also took me a little while longer to be completely sick of my diet of bread and yogurt!

This is what I decided to make:

Recipe #1: p. 128 Broccoli Rice

Sauté in small skillet:
    margarine
    chopped onion
Add:
    broccoli, cooked and drained
    grated cheese
    milk
    cooked rice
Bake for 45 minutes.


Back to the running commentary this past week and yesterday as I prepared to make the first recipe:

Last week: I have the option of just preparing the recipes and not actually eating them.  The challenge I posed on the blog says nothing specifically about me actually eating the food.

Last week: If I do eat it, I can just really overestimate the amount of calories in it, so that I will end up eating less calories than my regular diet.

Sunday night and Monday morning: I need to stop at the store and get skim milk because all we have left is 1 percent, and I don't want those additional 10 calories in the recipe.  I know that those 10 calories are going to get split between the whole recipe, and I'm only going to have a tiny bite, if any, but if I can get away with having less calories in it, then I will.  I'm also not going to do the part with margarine and onions because I don't like onions (or margarine because it adds fat to the recipe).

Monday 10:15 AM: I feel guilty that I am stopping at the store after teaching my class because I didn't ask Matt if he minded if I was 10 minutes later coming home.  I can justify it by saying that he encourages me to not ask his permission to do things that I need or want to do.

Monday 10:16 AM: Now that I'm in the store to get the milk, I notice that the small containers of yogurt that I'm trying to buy less of are on sale at this store.  But I don't have a basket or a cart...I can go get one...but then I'll be even later.  I'll just carry as many as I can and grab the milk on the way out.

Monday 10:28 AM: I feel guilty that I'm trying to get in the house and put away the groceries before Matt notices that I stopped at the store, but I know that I'm also going to tell him that I stopped.  I just don't want him to see that I bought more yogurt for me and feel disappointed in me.

Monday 1:00 PM: I feel like I should use nap time to cook this meal so that I'm not rushing at the end and in case anything goes wrong.

Monday 1:05 PM: Right now, I feel excited about cooking, and I plan to eat a small bite.  I feel strong and courageous.

Monday 1:07 PM: I feel pretty dumb that I'm looking up how to cut and cook broccoli on my Kindle.

Monday 1:10 PM: I feel energetic, enthusiastic, idealistic.  I should cook like this everyday!

Monday 1:30 PM: I notice a burning smell, but I think it's probably just water  going down the side of the rice pot.

Monday 1:32 PM: Yep, I burnt the rice.

Monday 1:34 PM: Why on earth did I decide to make this recipe on my busiest day of the week?  I teach, watch another family's baby, tutor (but not this week), and have people over for dinner.  Why did I decide to do this cooking project in the first place?  It's easier and faster to have sandwiches and just do what I know and what feels safe.

Monday 2:00 PM: The house still smells like burnt rice, but at least the broccoli is cooked, and the second pot of rice looks good.  But will the food turn out ok since I'm not going to cook the onions and margarine and then add the other ingredients?  What if I cook it, and it's a disaster?  Will Matt be mad that I changed the recipe?

 Monday 2:15 PM: I'm more obsessive about making sure that I've measured things correctly since I'm planning to eat this than when I make foods for other people.  Correction, I don't measure them correctly; I measure them to ensure that I skimp a little bit on all of the ingredients.  But I hope that the recipe still turns out alright.  I hope it's not a disaster and that I anger or disappoint people. 

Monday 4:00 PM: I don't feel too much anxiety right now thinking about tasting what I made.  I like the smell of the cooked broccoli and rice, and I'm proud of myself for making something new.  I'm also really proud that I didn't spend all week asking Matt to reassure me or make the decision to go ahead and follow-through with cooking the first recipe.  And I'm even more proud that I'm planning to taste it.  I feel kind of excited.

Monday 5:30-6:00 PM: I'm really enjoying the conversation with our friend who is over for dinner.  My mind is surprisingly focused on the conversation, and I am looking forward to trying the broccoli rice.

Monday 6:15 PM: Even though I only have a dollop of plain yogurt and a miniscule bite of broccoli rice on my plate, I feel like part of the fellowship of the meal.  The broccoli rice is pretty good, if I do say so myself!

Monday 7:00 PM: I know that I barely ate enough of the recipe to justify it in my calories for the day, but since I already planned to, and I feel a little anxiety about not counting it, I will adjust my calories for today.  I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't risk trying a little bit more of the broccoli rice or at least more accurately estimating its caloric content.

Monday 7:00-10:00 PM: I'm surprisingly calm, not-obsessive, and really enjoying my evening.

Monday 10:16 PM: Well, I'm going to bed.  I count it a success that I didn't let my negative, obsessive thoughts keep me from following through with preparing and tasting my first recipe.  But did Matt and my friend like the recipe?  Did they notice that I ate any?  Were they proud of me for trying it, or were they disappointed that I didn't risk a bigger challenge?

4 comments:

  1. "It's easier and faster to have sandwiches and just do what I know and what feels safe."

    It's also a lot easier not to blog about it and make it all so public and be vulnerable. Thanks for trusting us, the interwebs and yourself. Thanks for sharing your process in all its obsessiveness, quirkiness, courage and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend for your encouragement and participation in my Blog. I really appreciated your post last week about the ethics of the Eucharist. I even wrote a comment, but I don't think it worked. I don't know what's going on with the comments on our blogs.

      Delete
    2. Your comment worked. I replied to it also. Here it is: http://wwje.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/transforming-the-body/#comment-1156

      Delete
  2. Don't ever feel dumb about having to google how to cook or prepare something. I've been cooking, baking, stir-frying, steaming, sauteing ... etc for years and I still come across terms that are new to me and ingredients that I have no idea how to deal with. It's nice to live with resources to quickly save a confusing recipe!

    ReplyDelete