Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Apple Snack


Recipe #2: Apple Snack p. 306
Peel, core, and halve apples.  Shred apples coarsely and put on buttered cookie sheet.  Bake until dry.

Confession #1: Recipe #2 was doomed to fail from the beginning.

I chose to make a snack instead of a dinner food this week because I knew we were having friends over to play a board game. It was also a decision I made based on eating disordered reasons.  I chose a recipe with the least amount of ingredients that I could find and then planned to eliminate even some of those.

So, going into this recipe with the intention of altering it, it's no wonder that it did not turn out well.  I just now realized that I didn't even prepare the apples correctly.

The recipe gives the following steps:
1. Peel.
2. Core.
3. Halve.
4. Shred.
5. Put on buttered cookie sheet.
6. Bake until dry.
7. Store in air-tight container.

This is what I did:
1. Core with apple slicer that cuts 8 slices.
2. Peel.
3. Oops, already cut them into slices
4. Shred--How on earth do you coarsely shred apples?  I tried a carrot shredder and a cheese grater.
5. Put on toaster oven tray.--I decided not to use the full-size oven.
6. Bake until tired of checking on the soggy mess.
7. There's no way I'm trying this or keeping the leftovers.

I told Matt and our friends that the apples weren't going to turn out very well, and they didn't have to try them. My friends graciously tried them, but Matt didn't.

Matt asked if I followed the recipe, and I immediately got defensive, felt guilty, and was angry with him for interfering.  My friend asked if I had put the butter on the tray.  Then, she asked if I had sprayed the tray to keep the apples from sticking.

I hadn't.  I know the label says the fat free cooking sprays have zero calories and zero fat, but there's a little note that says one of the ingredients adds a trivial amount of fat.  Therefore, my AN brain won, and I didn't spray the tray.

Matt responded that of course it didn't work without the butter.  My immediate response to that comment was to ask him if he was mad at me. 

My guests and Matt were gracious and kind for my failed apple snacks.

Confession #2:  I think I had already decided to find a way to not eat this recipe and therefore sabotaged it. 

When the apples didn't turn out perfectly, it seemed like an easy excuse to not try them.  Unfortunately, my kind friends tried them, and one even said it was like apple pie.  It's hard to justify not trying them after that.

I knew the apples weren't inedible, and they actually smelled pretty good.  But I told myself they weren't good, therefore I didn't have to eat them.  My justification in my head was that I already restrict and punish myself with food, so I refused to "waste" any of my calories on something that didn't look great and I didn't feel like eating. Therefore, I consciously chose not to try them.

Lesson #1:
Matt jokingly reminded me that the cookbook is already called More-with-Less.  He old me that I don't need to take out any ingredients because it's not like a mainstream cookbook asking me to add a bunch of junk to the recipe.  If the recipe calls for butter or onions, then use butter or onions.

The lesson here for me is that I do not need to be in charge.  I can trust the cookbook and the people with whom I will share the fellowship of the table.  I do not need to alter the recipe to "protect" myself from fat or ingredients that I may or may not like.   

My blog is called http://morewithmuchless.blogspot.com/ because that has been my worldview and decision-making motto, but I don't want to continue living from that paradigm.

Lesson #2:
I need to find a different way to decide what recipe I will cook next week.  I had already chosen one based on my previous requirements of:
1. Very few ingredients with very few calories or fat
2. Something that I can alter in some way

I have decided to choose three different recipes that I would actually like to try and then have Matt chose the order that I cook them for the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. "I can trust the cookbook and the people with whom I will share the fellowship of the table."

    You can't trust just any cookbook, but I agree with Matt. Trusting those we share meals with is also hard. Cooking something for people can be a very vulnerable act.

    "I do not need to alter the recipe to "protect" myself from fat or ingredients that I may or may not like."

    This made me think about the way that many others try to protect themselves from other ingredients like, GMOs, corn, HFCS, etc. It seems that our obsession with individual ingredients is a symptom of the way we reduce everything to its individual parts and try to find singular causes for things.

    There's something healthy about harvesting whole foods out of the garden and making recipes where you don't get a list of ingredients or breakdown of the content so easily as on packaged foods. BUT that means less control and more trust of the goodness provided in nature.

    As always you're sparking interesting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got two kids' books at the library today about wheat and bread because I want to look at food as a whole like you said. I don't want to keep looking at it as an amount of calories or individual ingredients.

    ReplyDelete